Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Houston bound!

Its Wednesday, my leave day for the rest of the trip.  I can tell you now that I do not want to head out.  I had to fight the urge to just call the trip off, set up shop and live on the coast.  The gulf coast is way to beautiful, the people are both the funniest and nicest people in the country, and Gulf time.... oh Gulf Time is better than any other time in the country.

But I must head out.  I gather all of my belongings and head for the door.  I headed over to Scrantons to distract Amy and her co-workers for a while longer while i waited to have my last lunch in Pascagoula with Mrs. Kathy. Who took forever because the school board was in deep arguments over... school things.

When she arrived we had just a wonderful lunch of she crab soup and a Black and Blue salad, blackened Tenderloin with blue cheese, red onions, cranberries and a blue cheese dressing.  I was looking at the Hamburger Steak with Mashed Potatoes, but with 7 hours of road ahead of me I chose a lighter option. 

I am very nervous about leaving.  I don't know what to expect, what Melange Catering will be like, what will the crew by like and will i get along with them.  And what will Houston be like?  The last time I was down here I was walking to Reliant Stadium for the Texas Bowl when a guy at a bus stop offered to sell me green.  As much as I would of loved to buy mystery weed from a random guys hand in downtown Houston, I decided against it.

The drive itself was just ridiculous!  Every ten miles was under construction and the speed limit jumped from 70 to 50 at least 20 times across Louisiana.  But I did see some entertaining things along the way. 
A billboard for a shop that had the "World Famous Pickle Man."  While the billboard looked like an old style Hillbilly with pickles sticking out from under his shirt and pushing a wheel barrel full of pickles, I decided that the reality would be much more disappointing then what I could imagine a pickle man to be. 
I made a voice memo about how every single food exit in Louisiana has a waffle house and I saw a license plate frame FROM waffle house. 
I saw a billboard for the "Best Crayfish in the South" with a moving smiling crayfish!  This is a strange land indeed.

After 7 hours of driving I arrive in the city of Houston, its pouring.  Houston has been in the longest drought ever and on Sunday and today its just dumping.  It rained all the way up to my arrival at my hotel, but right as I was about to get out of the car.... it cleared up.  Maybe Houston was going to be OK. 

But then the drama started.  My friend Erin works for Marriott and i was using her friends and family discount for a better rate.  Turns out I still needed a form filled out by her to check in, and that's when the heart started to beat a little faster.  I run to the computer room and start calling Erin.  No answer, but I knew she ignored it cause it rang twice then right to voice mail, so I tried again.  Same story.  I call again, this time i get a very very very mad Erin,
"Oh MY GOD, what do you want I am really busy!"
"Um I need a form to check in, like now, so I can sleep at this hotel."
"Right now, oh ok, here's what you need to do...." 
I got the form, checked into my hotel, and started putting my self together for work at 7 tomorrow.  Only to realize I left my bag, with my passport camera and books, in Pascagoula!!!  I called Amy, she said that it was already packed up and ready to be mailed the next day.  I really like that girl. 

Work tomorrow, peace y'all.

Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment