Sunday, October 23, 2011

Melange, Day 4

It's Monday, things are getting real.

The day starts off busy and stays that way for quite a while.  I assist John and Johnny, a man who is best described as "a sack of hangers", till lunch time.  Cut potatoes, sear tenderloin, make skewers, and the like until Andrew walks up.

"Hey we are taking you to lunch, lets go."
"Are you taking him to the Sunset Strip? It's 9.99 Lobster and Steak day!"
"Nah, just Mama Tio's, it's safer." The sunset strip is an adults only gentleman's club known for travesties of nature dancing during the daylight hours.

Mama Tio's was just alright, once again it was a tortilla with meat cheese and vegetable served with rice and beans.  I had the Chili Relleno and copious amounts of chips and salsa.  Andrew, Chef Mike, Greg, and myself had a great time though, talking everything from health inspectors to insane customers.  I know that someone has to of written a book on their experiences with off premise catering, i believe that the author might also be buried in an unmarked grave in a bayou somewhere as well.  A tell all never really goes over very well.

With lunch behind us we headed back to the kitchen to finish the prep for tomorrow and clean up.  Easy day, time to head back to Linda's house.  But here I ran into another issue, Linda wasn't home.  No one was home and here I am looking around her house like I am casing the joint, trying to find one open door to let myself back in.  After much searching I find that the back door was left unlocked and I went inside.

Tonight was going to be a great night.  We went to a place called Johnathan's The Rub.  It was outstanding!!  We started with a wonderful house salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red and yellow peppers and croutons.  But these croutons were not normal, they were deep fried fresh bread cubes.  And there was something else to them, a sweetness, and the crunch was just on the outside while the inside stayed soft.  I was in love with them, and all the flavors paired so well with the creamy balsamic dressing.

Next we hit the main course and it was a sight to behold.  Two pan seared and roasted duck breasts, with a sauce made from craisens, cherries and a red wine reduction and two sides of my choice.  Now I know what you might be thinking, "Craisens, cherries, red wine sauce... that had to be super sweet!"  Oh nay nay my friend, it was not sweet at all.  The subtle sweetness of the fruit was taken away by the strong red wine and turned into a savory velvety sauce that encircled the duck.  It was a treat for the taste buds.

Bed early tonight.  I have my last working day at Melange tomorrow then its off to San Antonio!

Stewart Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment