Friday, October 7, 2011

Little Rock, and the tour of Firsts

Day two of my journey started with a berry smoothie in the morning and then off for the grand tour of Little Rock. 

I visited Mary-Jim at the Gold Crown Store and heard the stories about how it all began, how my dad became "The marketing genius" by forcing the Ramseys to buy and bulk merchandise 144 elf stocking holders which they had never done before.  Needless to say they sold nearly all of them and the relationship was solidified. 

It was a fun afternoon hearing how my parents met, from the friends point of view, and all the other capers and adventures they all got in back then.  I saw my parents first house, and our best guess at my dads first apartment.  After hearing a very defensive John tell me, and my father on the phone, that "I stumbled here after too much drinking many times, I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVED!!!"  I guess that settled the debate.

Then we headed over to the Clinton Library which, giving the critics there credit, looks like a very nice and shiny trailer going out over the river.  But like a super nice double wide with stainless steel siding, you know a classy one.  After touring the facilities I was about ready to jump up and demand four more year of Clinton.

After touring around we went to lunch with the family at Trios.  We had a really good tapanade style Mediterranean salsa with marinate artichokes, olives, eggplant, sun dried toms and capers.  My lunch was called the Casanova, it was a roasted vegetable sandwich with eggplant, zucchini, squash, red peppers and provolone cheese. Not to shabby.

After a bit more touring and a nice, longer than expected, nap we headed out to Ya Ya's.  I had never been there but not bad at all!  Had great salmon flat bread with goat cheese sauce, capers, red onions, and dressed with arugula and olive oil.  My meal was Pappardelle noodles with tenderloin, caramelized onions, asparagus, mushrooms in a Chianti cream sauce.  Not nearly as thick as you would think. A couple more great glasses of wine and the evening was passed.  We headed home and I called it an early night, I had a lot of driving to do the next day. 

Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment