Monday, October 24, 2011

San Antonio Stroll!

It's travel day yet again, time to head on out to San Antonio to visit Dr. Scott Sundell.  I have known this man for many years, since our first meeting in the kitchens of Della Voce in 2007.  While he is not a doctor by license, i have always called him for Dr related questions like,
"As A doctor, would you recommend I take that 7th shot of tequila?"

My position was always one of the lawyer, I would field questions like,
"As a lawyer, can I really get in trouble for going into the kitchen at Denny's and demanding to know why they used canned Hollendaise?"

This relationship helped keep both of us out of "trouble", healthy, and away from the law.  But enough about that, it's time to hit the road.

I start the journey like always, with a pleasant goodbye to all my new friends, ice in my cooler, and a final destination in my GPS.  Today was no different.  I went back to Melange to say good bye to all the crew and say goodbye to Linda.  After doing the rounds and thanking everyone for their time and allowing me to take part in the operation, Mikey hands me a card from all the staff.  It was very nice of them to take the time to do this for me and I can't wait to bring one of them up to our facility to try and return the favor.  But no more goodbye's, it's road time!

I head out to find my parents house and with very little effort I find it, or is it the one across the street.  Having never been here I call my dad to confirm, he describes one of the houses perfectly and I confirm the location.  I really wanted to see the inside of the house and see where my family had spent the early years, but the people were not home.  So I lurked around the house taking pictures of it and the back yard(which now has a hotub) and pool.  Before any suspicious neighbor called the cops on me I got back in the car and headed out.

My next stop was Buc-ee's, a store with so much Texas it will make your head spin!  The store mascot is a buck toothed beaver, and he sells everything Tx.  Texas shaped cutting boards, Texas branded cast iron cook wear, and every form of beef jerky you could imagine.  And the clothes, if you ever need to buy camo pants, an "I heart Tx" shirt, a hat that looks like the beaver and beaver underwear but only want to stop once then this is your spot.  Well I decided to sample, what someone told me I could not miss, a spicy sausage wrapped in a hot dog bun with stuffed with cheese and jalapenos.  Like a pigs in a blanket except with a roll.  It was exactly like what you would of expected. 

A full tank of gas, and a stomach full of bad decisions, I make my way on west.  My arrival into San Antonio happened to coincide with rush hour, and let me say that of all the places in Texas San Antonio has the WORST DRIVERS by far!!! Clear roads ahead and people are going one of two speeds, 5-10 miles under and 10-20 miles over the speed limit.  Nothing in between and no one pays attention to anything else on the road.  Just terrible, but i get to Scott's safely and scratch free. 

I get changed then its off to a bar to watch the World Series with Scotts grad school peeps.  Nice group, but i am starting to get this vibe that grad school is hard to get into, and impossible to fail out of.  Its like they took college partying and just turned it up, with less school to go to, and less class stress.  I would of never guessed.

Stewart Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment