Monday, October 24, 2011

Wizard Staffs And World Series

"Hey, I am going to class.  Either stare at the ceiling all day or head on out till class is over.  Here is a key.  Deuces"  I added the deuces part.

And that's how i started my first day in San Antonio.  After plenty of ceiling staring I decided to head out and get something to eat.  It was a beautiful day outside so I headed on out to find myself something quick and tasty.

After a nice mile walk i came across House of Pho, done!  I was surprised to see a chain Pho shop but I loved the concept and wanted to try it out.  I started with the shrimp spring rolls with rice noodles, lettuce, mint and Thai basil.  These things were about the size of a coke can, and who ever was rolling them needed a few more classes.  They were rolled loose and so eating them was a challenge without having them dump the entirety of their contents all over my plate.  I struggled through it and persevered, my next course was on its way.  My Pho Tai, thinly sliced rare beef, arrived and my excitement went up and down faster than fat kid jumping off the swing set.  The bowl was visually perfect but once spoon hit mouth all that died.  There was something missing, a brightness, a cohesiveness, flavour, i don't know something.  No amount of sriracha, hoisen, or lime juice could fix this bowl full of abomination.  Sad days, I don't think I will ever trust another Vietnamese chain again.

Spent the remainder of the day waiting for Scott to return and basking in the sun by the pool.  Yes the pool, in October, I even took a dip.  Suck on that Midwest!

Tonight's plan of attack.  Go to this great and wonderful place called city center, like a whole foods but on mega fun steroids, get beer and food then go watch world series.  I about died when i walked in this place, it has everything awesome!  It has an entire area full of pates, pickles, preserves, smoked fish, caviar, olives, and so on.  And to top it all off, they have an amazing sandwich place here.  I ordered the Cuban and Scott ordered the bistro roast beef, Roast beef, caramelized onions, blue cheese, arugula, and horseradish cream sauce.  Both were toasty pressed sandwiches of pure happiness.  We gathered our food and beer and headed over to Scott's friend Blakes' house for the game.

Upon arrival the games and drinking commenced.  I first learned of the Wizard Staff, finish a can of beer then duck tap another one to the top then continue to drink out of the top beer, repeat till you have a staff as tall as you.  Then you hit people with it.  Its a very complicated process but entertaining the entire time.  Then around 12:30 I heard a knock at the door, being the closest person I opened the door and was eye to eye with the youngest looking cop i  have ever seen.  He puffed out his chest and got real authoritative real fast.  With a few quick words and some apologies, the cops left and it was back to party time.  Maybe these grad school really is just college 2.0, more fun less work.

Stewart Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment